Transition…..it’s tough!!! “The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place and I don’t care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there if you let it. You, me, nobody is going to hit as hard as life” “It ain’t about how hard you hit, it’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward” Rocky Balboa (2006) [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z5OookwOoY]
“Until you start believing in yourself, you won’t have a life.” Transition…..it’s tough!!! Rocky Balboa (2006) “Key Learning’s & Insights during my Transition”
1. Get “comfortable about being uncomfortable”
2. Get a coach…..someone you respect……not a friend
3. It’s ok to go to ‘Pity City’…..but you gotta get out
4. A positive mindset is “critical”
5. The future doesn’t have to equal your past – “Paul Hill – The Panic Free Job Search” (read this book!!)
6. “Don’t be a cheerleader and sit on the sidelines”…..get into the game.
7. Have a “Plan”…..and work your plan
8. Sell yourself to yourself: – “Toot your own horn”
9. Embrace Social Media – LinkedIn, Twitter, Google + and Face book
10.Embrace Networking…and don’t stop even when you land your next role
11.Exercise….get into shape
12.Create a “Transition Bucket List”…….if you have the runway (financial freedom/package).
13.Master the art of Transition vs. just looking for a Job
Some Guiding Principles for Career Success
1. You only know what you know…..don’t pretend to an expert in everything . Put yourself in an ‘uncomfortable role/position’ to learn new skills.
2. Put yourself in the shoes of the consumer/customer.
3. Don’t let perfection get in the way of good.
4. It all starts with people…..the right people make companies…..people work for people….people buy from people.
5. Compromise and pick your battles
6. Empower people….people’s opinions matter, but you don’t have to agree with them.
7. Have an “Enterprise Mindset”
8. Have a plan…..work the plan
9. You may not be trying hard enough if you haven’t been let go before.
10. Persistent, Resilient and Decisive…..3 key attributes for leaders
``Find a job you like and you`ll never work a day in your life``
Lou Scapinella - NHL Referee
``Your future doesn’t have to equal your past``
- Paul Hill, 2012
``Live for the moment and be the best that ‘you’ can be”
- Steve Johnston, 2013